Foundation for Advancement of Haitian Midwives (FAHM) is a charitable 501(c)(3) and educational non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and aiding Haitian midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students living in Haiti, where there are high rates of maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality.
In furtherance of these charitable and educational purposes, FAHM shall assist in promoting the midwifery model of care in Haiti therefore making it a sustainable model by:
- providing financial, organizational, educational and developmental support to midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students in Haiti;
- raising funds to support and strengthen midwifery associations and education in Haiti;
- disseminating information and providing technical assistance to midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students in Haiti; and
- promoting the profession of midwifery through consumer education/awareness, outreach, strengthening Haitian professional midwifery associations in Haiti's 10 departments.
- conducting any and all lawful activities which may be useful in accomplishing the foregoing purposes
FAHM was founded in 2013 and incorporated in February 2014. It was created after Martine Jean-Baptiste, LM, CNM and Karen Jefferson, LM, CM, made several trips around the country volunteering and meeting with practicing midwives and midwifery educators. Haiti has a high maternal and infant morbidity and mortality rate and a lack of professionally trained midwives. FAHM was created after observing the overwhelming need and gap in services.